If you look up the word overwhelmed in the dictionary, you’ll find several meanings:
- turned upside down
- submerged completely
- washed over, as by a big wave
Reading these, I think, Yes, this is exactly what overwhelmed feels like! Whether it’s a tidal wave of external circumstances looming above or an emotion ocean churning within, overwhelmed makes us gasp for air, because we’re going under.
Overwhelmed is deceptive.
It takes on all sorts of disguises and tricks us into believing we can’t deal with it because, well, it’s just so overwhelming.
But it turns out that there are different kinds of overwhelmed. So here’s a quiz to help you discover what particular type of overwhelmed you’re dealing with.
When you know the cause, it’s so much easier to apply a cure.
⤵️ Click the “Start” button in the box below: ⤵️
1 — All questions are true/false.
2 — Don’t dwell on any one question — go with your gut and move on. The quiz is designed to take 5-10 minutes to complete.
3 — The quiz is not timed. When you’re ready to begin, simply hit the “Start” button in the box above.
4 — When you’ve answered all the questions, you’ll get an instant report of your top source of overwhelm.
5 — Feel free to skim the questions below before answering them via the actual quiz above:
- I feel like I have few/no good options.
- Nobody really seems to understand why I feel so overwhelmed.
- I often put off important tasks until “later”.
- I feel like I shouldn’t have to ask for help.
- I’ve been struggling with illness and/or injury (my own or that of someone I love.)
- When good things happen, I worry that they won’t last.
- I wish I could know if I’m making the right decision(s).
- I feel embarrassed for being overwhelmed.
- Sometimes I say “yes” when I need to say “no.”
- I should be able to handle my life better than this by now.
- My caretaker role(s) keep me constantly busy.
- I would love to experience more joy.
- I have trouble following through on the decision(s) I’ve made.
- Nobody I know gets as overwhelmed as I do.
- My personal values are not written down anywhere.
- Seeking help feels selfish to me.
- Emergency situations just keep hitting, one after another.
- Sometimes I compare myself to others and wish I had what others have.
- I’m dealing with the consequences of poor past decisions.
- People have told me, “You’re just too sensitive.”
- Sometimes, my values shift to match the circumstances of the moment.
- I offer help, but I don’t accept help.
- If I weren’t so overwhelmed, I’d be a better friend / mother / wife / etc.
- I wish I felt happier.
- I’m coping with circumstances I didn’t cause or choose.
- I feel ashamed by how overwhelmed I become.
- My priorities seem to change depending on the situation I’m in.
- There are very few/no people in my life that I can count on.
- Constant crisis has become my “new normal.”
- I long to laugh more.
- Decision-making tires me out.
- What overwhelms me doesn’t seem to overwhelm other people.
- Sometimes I wonder who I really am.
- I would love a support team, but I don’t know how to build one.
- I wish I knew how to “move on” from challenging experiences.
- I’d like to learn how to experience greater contentment.